Deadly vehicle bomb attack rocks Afghanistan's Khost

Share

At least 14 people have died after a suicide bomb attack rocked Afghanistan's Khost province on Saturday morning, local Khaama Press reported.

The US and other North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies are considering sending thousands of troops to back up the Afghan military as it battles the insurgency.

It is not yet clear how many civilians and security forces personnel have been killed in the attack.

Afghan residents gather at the scene of a suicide auto bomb that targeted a CIA-funded pro-government militia force at a public bus station in this province yesterday.

No group has claimed responsibility for the atrocity but Taliban insurgents have increased their attacks against Afghan security forces. "The victims were in civilian clothes and it is hard to verify their identities at this stage". It comes just a month after the Taliban killed at least 135 soldiers in the northern province of Balkh in the deadliest insurgent attack on an Afghan military base since 2001.

Najib Danish, deputy spokesman for the Ministry of Interior (MoI) has said in a tweet that 18 people have died, mostly civilians, 6 including two children are wounded.

The pleas for attention, a major embarrassment for the Western-backed government, highlighted the disarray in security ranks.

The attacks are part of the so-called spring offensive launched by the Taliban in late April.

"Terrorist groups that have no regard for religious values and blessed days, have once again committed a crime against humanity on the directives of their masters", Ghani said in a statement.

US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis last month warned of "another tough year" for security forces in Afghanistan.

Share